Google Translate

Sunday, March 29, 2009

I use this: Samsung 32inch Series 6 Full HD LCD TV

(Almost) Front view
At the recent March 2009 IT Show, I made one of my biggest ticket items ever: a brand new Full HD (high-definition) television set. I had narrowed my choices down to a few, and finally signed on the dotted line for a Samsung Series 6 Full HD LCD TV. It's the smallest size at 32" because that's all the physical space and budget that I could afford!

The Series 6 is supposed to be one of the newer models from Samsung, though I have to admit that I didn't really know about that. For me, it was a toss-up between Sony and Samsung. After judging the picture quality based on my naked eye, I went with the Samsung. (Surprisingly, Sony's 32" W series TV had a less vivid picture than the 40" or larger W series TVs.)

From the side
As expected with any Full HD TV, the Series 6 model comes with 16:9 aspect ratio, HDMI ports and Dolby 5.1 audio. All that is greek to me. As far as I am bothered, the picture and audio look/sound just great! It also supposedly boasts a 15,000:1 contrast ratio, though to me, black is black, and colour is colour.

What do I like about it, in particular? There are a few things:

  • Full HD with 1080p resolution, bay-bee!
  • four HDMI ports! Though I only use one right now, haha
  • two RCA-type AV connectors, including one set handily at the side - both are useful, since my old DVD player and Nintendo Wii depend on those connections
  • different picture modes: normal, sports, cinema, game. Most of the time, my display mode is set to "cinema", switching to "game" only when I'm Wii-ing
Of course, nothing is perfect:
  • no integrated HD tuner! Darn it, if I knew about this extra component, I would've waited for the Series 8! Without this tuner, I can't enjoy full HD programs through the TV antenna. Which means I'm stuck with watching standard definition programmes on a HD TV, damn it!
  • the border is a tad bigger than I'd prefer.
  • for those who are concerned about power consumption, the Series 6 supposedly uses 200W, more than earlier Samsung models or the Sony W series.
  • no buttons/switches on the TV, e.g. on/off, channel switching, volume control, etc. Everything is through the remote control unit, which means if the latter goes bust, my TV is basically useless!
Remote control unit
Talking about the remote control unit, it's one monster! Definitely one of the biggest remote control units I've ever seen for an electronics device. But it's not because it's jam-packed with buttons. Rather, the buttons are bigger than on other units, so this one is actually more user friendly in that aspect! And since there aren't many extra (read: nonsensical) buttons, this unit is a breeze to use for people who don't like buttons.

So if you're looking for a Full HD TV because your current set is looking aged, then you may want to consider the Series 6 TV. In spite of not having an integrated HD tuner, it is really a worthwhile upgrade for those who want the high-def experience.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment