Google Translate

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard": the largest beta tested Mac OS yet

Mac OS X 10.5
Steve Jobs announced at Macworld San Francisco 2008 that 5 million copies of Mac OS X 10.5 a.k.a. Leopard had been sold. And that this amounted to about 20% of the installed base. (I don't think the 5 million number includes copies of OS X 10.5 included with new computers.)

When I heard (or rather, read) about this, I immediately thought, "Wow, that's a lot of beta testers!" Apple had seemingly succeeded into using these 5 million customers to weed out bugs that its internal QA team was unable to.

I'd been following the numerous problems that upgraders had faced. There's a very long list over at Macfixit.com. Issues included graphics distortions, incompatibility with existing programs, files deleted/changed, and more.

Other complaints not related to upgrades had to do with an important component: the user interface. The three main complaints were the translucent menus, Downloads folder in the Dock, and difficult-to-identify folders.

Which is why I did not upgrade to Leopard. I'm waiting for the bugs and other silliness to be more-or-less removed before taking the dive. Or maybe I'll spring for a new computer for the Intel CPU and faster speeds.

--

2 comments:

DK said...

But I thought it was out of beta already?

Well, you should hear the figures from Windows. I'm sure Vista has more than 5m now and they are still debugging.

Yuhui said...

That's why I said largest beta among Mac OS's.

Oh, and I was being sarcastic. Yes, it's out of beta, but with so many bugs, it doesn't seem like it is to me.

Post a Comment